For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Saturday, December 4, 2010

November and December Days

A coal train rumbles by on this frosty Sunday morning while the girls eat their hay breakfast.

(Sometimes the dates at the top correspond with the day[s] I start working on my blog. I tend to forget that this probably says Saturday, yet I posted it on Sunday. I started working on my Thanksgiving week one early in the week, but finished and posted it it late in the week. That's why the dates don't always correspond with what I write!) FYI :)


Another week has gone by already! I have been working more, so the time is flying it seems!
Cold, then a bit warmer, and then cold and the wind came along (again). That's what gets me--the wind! Argh! (I know, I know, winter is just getting started......HA)

It seems Kyle has been running late every morning this week. (OK, worse than normal!) ;-) Between school, his activities, and work, I think he's doing too much.....but what do I know--I'm just a mom! HA

I have to revise what I'd previously wrote......instead of Alaska, it looks like Jared will be headed to Ft. Bragg in North Carolina. He doesn't have his "official" paper(s) yet......time will tell when they make up their mind! (They check online for orders, and online orders keep changing.)

Patrick is coming down with "the crud". I had to stop and get him some more Gypsy Cold Care tea, and some juice after work Saturday....I'm not sure how the peanut clusters ended up in my basket.....HA. But they were good! :) :) :)

I get 3-4 eggs a day on average. Here I thought my Buff Orphington hen was laying the BIG dark brown egg, but I guess not. I'm still getting one, even tho she is gone. Not sure which hen is laying it! I did notice the eggs seem to be getting larger. I'd say they are extra large....amazing and awesome!!

Dolly was in heat Friday/Saturday. Saturday morning I watched her and Anna butting heats and being squirrely from the (nice warm) :) kitchen for awhile. Needless to say, I watched my back when doing chores. I don't need a 900+ pound cow mounting me.....yikes!
Normally Dolly isn't like that, but she did try once last year. I've been wary ever since then when she's in heat. Better safe than sorry! Amazing what hormones can do to an otherwise normally tame cow!

Oh, and a 450+ pound freaked out 8-month old heifer isn't going to care if you're in the way and they are scared. I moved a piece of tin from the (future) stanchion area when Anna was eating--big mistake. (I admit I'm far too complacent--I'm used to bomb-proof Dolly!)
Anna did make sure she didn't plow me over, but maybe that's just because I still had the "scary-monster-piece-of-tin", too. HA I don't think she appreciated me laughing at her, either......Dolly didn't bat an eye the whole time, she just kept eating her chow.
Knowing Dolly she was thinking: "Good, now I can eat HER food, too!!" Of course, she tried.....that cow has a one-track mind.....and no, I'm not sharing my peanut clusters with her!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment