For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 17, 2011

Hold on to your hats folks

This is similar to what has happened in our nearby community! Downtown is a shell of what it used to be......and they are trying hard to get businesses back there.

If you've noticed, I've added a couple of blog links lately (bottom of the page). These two blogs help keep me updated (fast) on what is going on around the world.
Interesting to note, both blogs within the past week have info on financial advisers getting out and/or warning of the whole system going south. I've seen the signs as well.....it's just a matter of time.

Diesel here went from $3.979 to $4.159 overnight. Little brother (David) in Texas says it's went from $3.649 to $3.879 down there. Gas is holding steady (The cheapest [with ethanol] was $3.439)....but it will follow suit soon I'm afraid.
Now......with diesel getting high once again (the highest we paid was back in 2008--the high here was $4.989). It took us here at our house almost a year to recoup from the higher fuel prices (heating/driving). Grocery prices weren't up so high then as they are now, either.
Prices now in the grocery store have gone up on most everything in the past 6-9 months. Everything I used to get 'on sale' is now double that when it's 'on sale' again. The regular price is like 3 times higher than what 'normal' price was a year ago.....ouch!

The higher fuel prices weighs heaviest on those who depend on it for a living.
Farmers, over-the-road truck drivers (hauling anything from livestock, and our food to farm/livestock/people supplies, grains and even toilet paper!), local haulers (dirt, rock, cement, lumber, etc.) and your delivery people. (UPS, Fed Ex, USPS, etc)
This means what we pay for retail will be higher, even if commodity prices go down.
It costs more even for us to get to work (for the same pay). Someone has to absorb those higher fuel costs--that is US.
I made a joke the other day at work I was going to have to get an extra part-time job to help pay for fuel just to get to work! It used to be that it took 1/2 an hour's worth of pay for diesel to get me to and from work each day. Soon that might take an hour's pay.......yikes.

I think once the holidays are over, and income tax time (refunds) has come and gone and things settle into the 'normal' paycheck/income routine is when people will really have to start tightening their belts.
I am sincerely hoping our winter is on the mild side, a good ol' ice storm/blizzard or two could knock some people off their feet financially (repairs, loss of work time, etc) in a heartbeat. Time will tell the story.

I will keep investing in MY 'stock market' out back that I feed/water/care for everyday. At least I have some say and control of that!! I already have big plans for the garden next year.....bigger is the key word!! :)

OK back to news here! Jared got issued some different ACU's (camo clothes) today--I forget the technical term. He also got issued some heavy duty equipment--good grief his armored vest alone weighs almost 50#! In a month he'll be home on leave, that will be *~*awesome*~*!!!

Kyle's enlistment date is supposed to be June 18. Of course subject to change, but at least we have a target date to shoot for. Speech team practise has started already......one thing ends and he's got another thing going on. Good thing he is young, I can barely keep up with what he's doing!

Patrick is still working on the front door, the weather turned windy and cold, so it's slower going. I went deer hunting with him Monday and had a deer come waltzing out right in front of us. Most of the time I've seen them I've either been riding (horses) or trying to avoid them with the vehicle! So that was pretty cool for me. This fellow lived another day because he wouldn't turn sideways as needed and decided to disappear into the woods and grunt then snort a few times. We heard him later snorting again a few times as we were leaving.

Got my stock tank clean, moved, heater hooked up and plugged in. It's working fine thus far. I need to get the dogs/cats heated water bowl out and plugged in as well. I wish they sold a solar powered one for chickens......as I have no electricity to the shed, just a solar light. I just switch their waterers am's and pm's, and I do that with the waterer for the rabbit as well. The chickens waterer is in the coop and hasn't frozen yet. (A good thing!!)

Wednesday night it started snowing for half an hour or so. Big, fat pretty flakes, but I am so not ready for that! I *know* it's the middle of November already; where does the time go???!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment