For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Monday, November 19, 2012

Deer meat and musings

Pat (right) and the neighbor (and kiddo) with their deer
 
Well, for the week-long hunting season, Patrick got a deer.  Problem is:  we don't have much room in the freezer!  So we are making Jerky and Smoked Sausage out of it.  The neighbor got three--but he went out more times than Pat.  It's okay....less work for me! :-)
 
Not much has been going on, I've been lazy at getting "inside" stuff done since it's been so nice outside!  I did find my chickens (rather, chicken--only 1 is laying right now!) likes to lay her eggs in the stockpiled straw in the stanchion area.  Two are moulting and look horrible!  I lost my older hen a few weeks ago, so now am down to 5 hens and Mr. Rooster.  Once egg production ramps up I'll see who is/isn't laying well and cull the slackers. 
 I'd like to entice the banty-cross to set, but not this time of year!  Plus I'm sure she'll be a troll once the chicks would hatch.  Her mama was, and her mama was friendly to people--this one isn't so much!  (Her mama is the one that would fly up onto our shoulder and  go for a 'ride'.  She used to sit on Dolly's back to keep warm.)  Ahhh the antics of critters! HA
 
I sold one of the steers, and am getting another milk cow.  I can't wait to meet her and get her home!  Her name is Daisy (a very popular cow name!) and is used to kids, etc.  I need another "Dolly-type" cow, and I'm pretty sure Daisy will fit the bill.  She is to calve in March, and she's still in milk--so I will have milk for a bit before I have to dry her off.  No biggie--I'm uber-excited to have milk again!
 
The weather has been decent--spoiling me.  Forecasts say an Arctic blast is coming next week.  Ugh.  I'm not ready for it--and it's hard on the animals when temperatures yo-yo high, low, high low.  Plus colder weather makes more work for me with watering, draining hoses etc.  I shouldn't be complaining, I know it could be alot worse, and much colder and snowier already! ;-)
 
I am hoping to get a letter from Kyle any day now....we'll know his mailing addy and get 'news' of when to come get him.  His girlfriend is probably more anxious than me to find out! ;-)  I just hope he's doing okay.....no news is good news I say!
 
Chandra sent me a photo of Jared working on making a kitchen table for them.  We haven't heard much from them.....and the kitty they got from here is awful ornery.  (Good training for future kids!) HA

No comments:

Post a Comment