For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Sunday, January 12, 2014

Slow blogging, but an update!

Well, December was a busy month.  Jared, Chandra and Tracy made it here, and was able to stay for a couple of weeks.  It was nice spending time with them, Tracy is "Mr. Activity" and reminds me a lot of Jared when he was little.  He's a happy little guy, that's for sure!



Nessa calved a bull calf on the 12th.  His name is Dusty, and he's got a mind of his own!  Nessa let me milk, but not without complaints! 


All was going well until Christmas Day, I got the flu.  I spent two plus days in bed, and boy did it wipe me out for a couple of weeks!  I didn't have energy to do too much other than normal ol' chores.  I ended up missing a whole week of work as well.
I'm just now getting back to "normal".

Kyle and his girlfriend came down probably three times over the holidays.....we had a (homegrown) Prime Rib supper once, opened presents another couple of days.....Pat got the boys some (legal!) explosives and they enjoyed shooting and blowing them up.

In the midst of it all, the refrigerator went out....it sucks living out of a cooler!  The freezers are working fine--thank goodness!

We had the arctic air mass come through and I spent time giving the cows extra bedding and plenty of hay.  All survived the cold (chickens and all), which is awesome.
We have a temp turnaround and it's in the 50's the past couple of days.  A welcome relief from the bitter cold and wind.  But I remind myself it's January and winter isn't near over, the cold, wind or snow.

That's the quick update for now,  hopefully I'll be better at getting timely posts this year!

1 comment:

  1. Janene, the flu you describe went through our family in November. One day of the most intense flu symptoms imaginable and then some days of recovery. It was the worst I've ever encountered in my life. Then January 1st, I came down with appendicitis. I'm pretty much back to normal now. Today's surgeries are nothing like years ago. Appendectomies are so routine now days that if done early enough in the day a person doesn't even have to stay over night. I just had three one inch incisions to allow the insertion of the instruments. Then it was just snip it off and suck it out. From the time I went under anesthesia until I woke up in recovery was only about an hour. I staid over night to make sure all was well and was released the next morning. The up side is that all the holiday activities were over and I even got to go sledding with Bradley before the pain flared up. What a start for the new year. Hopefully, things with start to settle down from now on.

    Have a great January and I'm so glad that Dusty is doing well. Those boys can be a little ornery as you well know.

    ReplyDelete