For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 19, 2014

Cooler weather, slowing down!

My Rose is blooming again--I took this yesterday.  It's the fourth time it's bloomed this year!

Tracy got his very own "ATV"--we saw this and couldn't resist getting it for him!  He took to it right away.  :)
 
It's "foot powered"--he IS the motor.  But it has cool buttons that make revving noises and talks, so he had to check those out as well:



Things have slowed down considerably here, since it's cooled down, not much is producing.  The tomatoes now taste bland, a step up from store-bought.  (bleh!)   I still have carrots and onions to harvest, but am letting them grow until we do get a frost or freeze.

It's been nice to slow down and just relax some!  Daisy has decided she likes the wheat I've planted out in the pasture (winter grazing).  I put the 7 pullets in with the two hens in the chicken coop/run, and the hens are molting, so no eggs for now. The 8 roosters are still in the chicken tractor, growing more and will be processed soon.  :)  I'll keep one to put in with the hens, I've got one picked out that isn't the dominate one.

Kyle is at training, at least he's in-state this time.  Jared called the other day and I got to talk to him briefly, sure was good to hear his voice.  DIL sent me this snapshot of them video chatting, it's the first time I've "seen" him for awhile:

As for time off for either of the boys, not sure how that will go for the Holidays.  I'm sure Thanksgiving is out (usually is) and Christmas is still up in the air for now.  No matter, we can celebrate late or early, whatever works out.  I just roll with the flow and don't get too excited about it, doesn't do me any good to get fretful!  ;)

Went with Pat last weekend to sight in his gun, sure was pretty where we were (only a few miles from here).  Saw plenty of deer tracks and I've been hearing lots of coyotes, even at 8:30 in the morning.  There's lots of them out there.....  :(

And that's the quick update for now.  I'm glad things are a bit "boring" around here for now, it's kind of nice.

Quick shout-out to Omaha Dave:  I know y'all have gotten hammered plenty of times with storms this year....there are some years like that.  I'm just grateful that some have extras to sell/share!  Putting something up is better than nothing. 
I'm bummed for you your Grandson isn't staying with you, I got a lump in my throat when you first said anything.  Amazing how we get used to so-n-so being around, and it's weird when they're not underfoot anymore.  He'll eventually realize the awesome times he's had with you, and I sure hope he gets to talk to you now and then.  ((HUGS))



1 comment:

  1. Janene, yup the garden is all cleaned up and put to bed. All the rain catch barrels are drained and most are cleaned up as well. The big 400 gallon horse tank is the only one that's left to clean. Even though I tried to keep it covered as much as I could and had a fountain to keep the water moving, it still grew some algae in the tank. I'll have to get on the rubber boots and spray it out with the hose.

    Lydia and I just went down to Texas to see Bradley for his birthday last weekend. We drove the 28 hours round trip out through York and down 81 to Wichita and then through Oklahoma City to our final destination of the Bandera, Texas. It's about 40 miles north west of San Antonio. We spent Friday night, all day Saturday, and most of Sunday with Bradley before coming back home. A total of 8 hours of driving during the trip was spent driving in hard hard rain. I mean the kind where the windshield wipers were on as fast as they could go and still couldn't see kind of rain. But God is good and we made it there and back again safe and sound. He looked really good and happy there. He didn't say any thing about coming back to Nebraska to live but sure wanted us to stay there. No, not happening. When I came back to Nebraska 30 some years ago from St. Louis, I promised myself that I'd never move away again. I love the distinct seasons that Nebraska has. Each one has special things to enjoy and when that season is starting to get a little tiring the next one is coming up.

    Have a great rest time day.

    ReplyDelete