For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Sunday, October 10, 2010

October 10th News



The bottom photo is of a neighbor's pasture.






Fall is here!
Most of the trees turning color early are Ash trees. Cooler nights and warm days have come to stay! Friday it was bloomin' hot with a high of 90*, breaking and tying records from the early 1930's. Nebraska weather can be odd--one year ago we had our first snow! (Oct 10th--also one of my good friends' birthday!) We haven't had rain for two weeks, so I've been watering what is in the garden. (And no, I am not ready to see any snow yet!!) Hopefully our temps will hold out at night and we'll have a late frost this year.

Patrick and I have s-l-o-w-l-y been working on the winter chicken coop, but slow progress is better than no progress! He had to redo a brake calliper and rotor on his truck...he knew when he replaced the one side this summer it would probably be a matter of time before the other one "went". But pulling loads of hay and other stuff takes its toll faster than say if it were a passenger car.

I got the lawn mowed the other day (finally!) and have been doing odds and ends around here, like watering the garden! I have been eyeing my comfrey, I need to get more harvested before: 1) the cow gets in that area and eats it (I have them fenced out right now) or 2) we have a frost. I don't mind her eating it, but not when I'm on a "growing" time limit! I need to get more salve made! :)

Kyles' work days have been reduced, but he keeps getting called in to work. Umm, wouldn't make sense to schedule a person who DOES routinely show up for work in the first place?!? (where's my rolling eyes smiley??!!) School and band activities have been keeping him busy as well. (And Frolfing and Air-soft shooting!) ;-)

Jared went to Airborne last Thursday, and they all have a 4-day pass for the weekend since its a holiday weekend. (Columbus Day is Monday) And I finally got his new address so I can send him a 'backlog' of mail, newspaper clippings (local news) and letters from home! He is on the Main Post now and closer to activities; like a movie theater, bowling alley and the main PX (store for them). He sent us some German Chocolate last week--he discovered the "Foreign Foods" section of the PX. ;-)
I asked him one day what he had for supper: "Chocolate--but I'm drinking Aloe Juice, too!" (It can have prune juice effects......) ;-) HA HA Kids!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment