For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Thursday, March 8, 2012

Busy Busy Busy!

Dolly is starting to shed her winter hair!

Lets see.....got Jared back down to KC so he could fly back to Bragg Sunday, he made it there safely. (Boy was the airport busy!) It was awfully windy and I fought the wind there and back. Of course it was worse coming back because I was headed more or less into it. And the dust! Lots of it in the air. I hadn't seen such a dusty/hazy sky in a long time.

As the photo shows, the bovines are starting to shed. I've heard the "spring birds" for a couple of weeks now, and the worms are active again! Spring is comin'!! Mooo-hooo!!

With all that I was motivated to rip out the old garden fence (we are putting in a better one). The old fence snapped back and whacked my face--I asked Jared if my eyebrows were bleeding. He looks at me funny, squints and says "Nope". Uh, huh--later when I got out of the shower I noticed a nice scrape just below one of my eyebrows almost on my eyelid. Looked kind of odd!!

I also re-did the chicken pen so it is much bigger. It is now set up for two pens if needed--I plan on splitting the flock into two, one with older hens (bigger eggs) with the bigger rooster and the smaller hens with the smaller rooster. I'll see how long THAT lasts.....but it's worth a try!
Oh, and Patrick informed me he pre-ordered 6 turkeys--yikes. Not sure if it's "his" project or mine....more than likely the latter!!

I have my six 'tater tubs' ready to go. (Dolly is eating out of an extra one, so you can see their size.) These are the mineral lick tubs (I don't use these) we got at an auction last year for $1. They come in handy for lots of things! Planters, tiller/mower motor covers, water tubs, feed tubs, kitty house (with a cat door cut out of it!).....you name it!

I also got the rhubarb 'supplemented' with some Walter (rabbit) poo and extra dirt on top of that. Pat helped me put boards around them (like a raised garden bed) with scrap wood. This way the area is marked so (certain) people aren't tromping on them or tilling them up!

Now all "we" have to do is put up the garden fence (used cattle panels someone sold me--so that's an "easy" fence job) and my big project: time to string up my electric fence again to get the bovines off the main pasture area. Otherwise I'll just have a dirt lot and no grass.....not a good thing!!

The calves are all growing, I'm really happy with how the steers are filling out. Nessa is holding her own and doing just fine since her de-horning. Dolly is still "Queen Bee" of everyone--she is definitely Boss Cow. (I say I'm just the Bossy Ol' Cow!!) HA

Jared and Kyle (and the front door Pat made!) ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment