For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 14, 2011

Musings and Bummer News

I'm tired of snow pictures, so dug this one up from this past fall. It's a river we cross on the way to a friends' house.

We've warmed up to the high 20's, but don't think it will last long. Predictions are another Arctic Blast to come for the 22-23. Hope they're wrong! ;)


Morningland Dairy had court the 11th and 12th, not sure the outcome thus far.....I haven't heard anything.


Fuel prices are up, grain prices are slowly rising, cattle prices are excellent (and have been for awhile). This means more $$ for the consumer. Milk prices are holding steady, but it takes more fuel costs to get it to its destination, hence rising retail prices. Sadly, many of the price increases aren't paid to those who grow/harvest/milk/etc. Its absorbed by those transporting and processing and packaging it to sit on the shelf for you to buy. :(


After stuffing our freezer full (and do I mean FULL!) with the latest beef (Porterhouse the steer--no, its not for sale either!) :) I am planning on dehydrating more veggies this summer to save room in the freezer. I also need to get a 'freezer replacement' growing. Since it takes time for them to grow, we'll have to be careful with what we have to last us.


And canning, oh boy do I plan on canning lots more. The weather this year wasn't so agreeable for some things, so am hoping for a better growing season/year this year. I ended up canning 3-4 quart batches at a time just to get things preserved. (I usually do 12-14 qts at a time normally. If I'm going to make a mess, I might as well make it worth my effort-ha!) So we have some interesting variations on our salsa, since I did scaled-back batches. :)


Jared has a 4-day weekend (lucky him!) and has been searching for a used car. He asked me to help him find some real milk in the area....so we are working on that.

Kyle has been pestering Q-tip and she just eats it up. That cat owns him, not the other way around!


Patricks' (very Loved) Aunt Elenora, well, we just found out earlier this week has an un-operable (think I spelled it right!) brain tumor. The outcome isn't good, and a short one at that. She's been moved to a Nursing home in Lincoln. Pat's mom and brother Mike have been visiting her alot since the weather has calmed down. (Mike is laid off [factory closed down], so am glad he can help out right now!) Needless to say, its hit everyone pretty hard. Keep her in your prayers, please!

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about Aunt Elenora. Aunts are special people aren't they. I still have two Aunts, one on my Dad's side and one on my Mom's side. Both are very special to me.

    Only 65 days until Spring and counting. It will whiz by before you know it. I've been planning this year's garden as well. I know what I want to grow but the ligistics of it all are not quite clear yet. I just kind of figure things out as I go with the big overall plan.

    Have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning the garden is always fun, but I rarely stick to my original plan! HA It seems I always plant more than I origannly planned, but that's OK! More food for ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And it seems I can't spell today (again)! LOL

    ReplyDelete