For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Snow Day(s)

Dolly giving Anna a bath while it was still snowing Monday morning.
A view from my kitchen window early Monday morning--at the corner of the deck is a smaller rain gauge I have. I went outside and took a kinda-sorta reverse photo. ;)


We managed to get over 7" of snow Sunday thru Tuesday morning. Now the bitter Arctic cold is here.....sunny this afternoon with a high of 6*, but the windchill is -15*.


School was cancelled Monday, so Kyle went sledding and then he and his girlfriend watched "A Beautiful Mind". Ky had recorded it, and kept pestering us to watch it, finally we did. Not something I'd normally figure a 17 year-old would watch, let alone want us to watch it, but it was good. (I don't watch too many movies....and hadn't heard of it. Come to find out, it was made in 2001, starring Russell Crowe.) We had a free Starz weekend on the TV, so I managed to record a few more movies, now I can watch them at my leisure.



Jared didn't have any classes Monday or Tuesday either, due to the storm they had. He said they'd gotten 5 inches of snow. He's been studying for some tests they are going to have.

They have been warned that the first 3 weeks of February they are going "camping out"--I guess to do more training.

He has been selected to be the Saw Gunner--he'll carry an M249 Saw Gun (its a "light" machine gun--look it up, its pretty intimidating) complete with 200 rounds. The whole thing weighs 22#, not including more extra ammo. His vest pack (he's modeling it in the photo) can weigh 45 pounds itself, not including any other items he'll need in his backpack, which can easily weigh over 50#. None of this weight includes his bullet-proof vest, which also weighs 15-20#.

And that's the update for today! ;)

2 comments:

  1. Janene, we had a couple snow days here too as the 12 inch snow wound down. Yesterday Bradley played outside for a couple hours in the snow while it was snowing with neighbor kids. Today we went tobogganing down the school yard hill. I tried to tell him we should go on the small hill first but all the neighborhood kids were on the big hill. Well, we went down the big hill in a blaze of snow flying up over the front of the toboggan. It blew Bradley's hat off and filled his face with snow. Scared the crap out of him. It took about 30 minutes for him to regain his composure and try the small hill. We started at 1/4 the hill, then 1/2 the hill, then 1/2 my himself, then all the way to the top of the small hill. He was ready to go back to the big hill but I convienced him not to push it and come home and drink hot chocolate instead. I'm thinking it wore him out as the four block ride home almost put him to sleep. I'm thinking it will be about a three asprin day and maybe a nap before going to bed for grandpa. Sheesh, just not as young as I used to be. At least that's what my body keeps telling me.

    Have a great snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear you on the 'not as young as I used to be'!! Ahh, kids, grandkids, they grow too fast!
    Sounds like you had a great time--I get to "play" in the snow doing chores (no kiddie helpers at the moment)! I could borrow one of the neighbor kids, or great-nephew next door, nah....I'd be out there longer then! ;) I do enjoy their help, but wow, they get distracted easily! (Where'd that kid go NOW??) LOL

    ReplyDelete