For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Monday, April 4, 2011

April Already!

Time is already getting away from me! Seems like there is too much to get done, and not enough hours in a day. (Though its nice its actually light out when I get home from work to do chores!)
The weather has been nice, then colder, then super-nice and now the wind blows strong and cold again. Hopefully just one more freeze tonight, then I can start planting in the garden. There are buds on the peach trees, I am hoping they don't get frozen tonight!

Kyle managed to impress our County Treasurer (Leroy) playing his Trombone at Copa. I got a text from a gal that works with Leroy and he wants Kyle to play the Trombone while Leroy accompanies Ky on the Piano for Easter at the Presbyterian Church! Kyle takes it all in stride, the kid knows he's good, but doesn't get too excited about it. (Geez, c'mon--you impressed a picky, professional man enough to seek out who you were, to play in front of the whole church!)

We finally got a text Friday morning from Jared, they were on their way to the airport in Louisiana and he was back in an area where his phone got service. Sure made my day to have contact from him. We played text/phone calls to catch up all weekend. He is glad to be back at Ft. Bragg, and to 'normal'. (Whatever that is!) He looked at some vehicles Sunday, I know he's really needing to get some wheels (other than his bike!).


I managed to get sunburned Saturday, Patrick and I went to an auction. I haven't been to one in years (accidentally on purpose) and had a good time. They had three rings going at once, even then it was slow going. It was good both of us were there to know when the stuff we were looking at was up for sale. We got:
some needed cattle panels (in really good shape),
good canning jars (two boxes full of clean quart jars cost me $1!),
empty cow mineral lick tubs (to plant tomatoes, etc in),
some old Livestock books I spied (along with some 1955 Farming magazines),
a (much needed) aluminum ladder,
a couple of Coleman lanterns (one works now with some TLC and the other will be good parts for our other lantern),
4 electric fencers (that two work now since Pat tinkered with them) and some tools for Patrick.

Then when we got home, we had to unload the truck, because we had hay (big round bales) on the flatbed trailer parked in the driveway (in the way of course) that needed unloaded as well. Its kind of hard to hook up a gooseneck trailer with a bunch of "stuff" in the bed of the truck! ;-) So we got that done with the two of us pushing on the hay to roll them off to unload them--no tractor here--manual labor gets it done! Parked the flatbed, then went and got the cattle panels, and everything else put away from the auction where it needed to go. It was a long, tiring day but a fruitful one.

A variety of people at the auction would come up and talk to me--I mean a lot of people. And it seems most of them just call me by the name "Ornery". (I don't know where they'd get that idea.....HA)
Patrick finally asked me "Geez, do you know everybody?!!" I laughed and said: "Nope, they know me!"
I can't tell you most of their names (but know who they work for/or what they drive/what they smoke/chew or what their preferred drink or candy bar/chips is), and they don't probably know my name as well (we don''t wear name tags), but we all "know" each other from where I work. Its not a bad thing, and its nice to see a friendly face when you're out and about!



No comments:

Post a Comment