For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Saturday, April 23, 2011

Dodging the (weather) bullet!

Its still busy around here! We had a couple of close calls with almost freezing temps, but luckily all the plants are doing well!
Cold, rainy weather is the forecast.....last week we got mostly rain (with a bit of snow--didn't stick at all) but the western half of the state got a full-blown blizzard. (In the middle of April--whats up with that?) They even closed I-80 down for awhile it was that bad.

I got some cucumbers planted and another tomato plant. We have a variety of peppers that still need to go into the ground. I've been working extra, so my time is limited. (grrrr) My transplanted rhubarb are all doing great!

A week ago Saturday we had a surprise 70th birthday for Patricks' mom. I can not believe no one blabbed (many of her friends were there as well as oodles of family) and she WAS definitely surprised! We all had a great time.

Since we were pre-occupied with that, we hadn't noticed the bad weather moving in on where Jared was. We texted back and forth a few times, but after he called his Grandmother (for birthday wishes) we only got a couple of more texts. I didn't think anything of it.
The next morning, I was checking in on the Family Cow forum, and I see one of the gals talking about Tornadoes/damage back east. I turn on the news, and look it up on line. Uh-oh, there was damage to Ft. Bragg, and the surrounding areas. I texted Jared....finally a bit later he texted back that the electricity was back on.
Seems I didn't need to worry, as him and a buddy had went target practising at a range and didn't know what was going on until their way back to Base. They saw trees chopped off and uprooted, power lines down, stuff strewn around....they didn't know what happened until they got to Base. They literally had been in an area that tornadoes missed!

Jared said there was stuff strewn all over the Base (even MRE's!), some vehicles overturned, and some building damage, but not too bad. I was just extremely thankful he and everyone else in the area were OK.

Onto Kyle, he has been house sitting for a friend and his mom. I got an interesting message Thursday morning: Bring food. I'm out.
I had to laugh, as Monday he went 'shopping' for food--he'd ate it all already! So I texted him back I had beef stew, or lasagna in the freezer or macaroni and cheese and hot dogs. (that's about it for quick heat n' eat food here.) He wanted Subway--I said NO WAY....you eat what I have! ;) So he opted for the hot dogs and mac n cheese...and had them all ate by Friday morning. I swear he's going to turn into a pizza as much as he goes to Pizza Hut and eats. (He does get everything half price since he works there....)
He's been practising with his trombone for his performance at church Sunday as well.

Patrick scraped and painted our two picnic tables and our two wooden (outdoor) chairs for re-staining (and one picnic table gets painted). He's been doing it all in between rains this week. Everything looks great--but the bigger table is primer white right now. (I prefer the stained redwood look!) So maybe I'll have him paint it red-white-blue....he just raised his eyebrows and gave me "the look" when I said I wanted the top to look like the US flag. ;) I don't think he wants to mess with 50 stars....HA

Me, I continue to putter in the garden and yard and try to keep up with things here. I don't like working 5 days a week at this time of the year, it just makes things harder for me to get planting done. It also makes me tired(er) and grouchy! Not what I want. I still have some fencing to work on as well.

Dolly and Anna have been enjoying some spring grass, and the chickens are liking it too. The Peach and Pear trees have bloomed, a Cherry tree is blooming, and I'm not sure if the Apple trees are going to bloom this year or not. (We put them in last year.) Dolly did a number on them 'trimming' them last fall, Pat was NOT a happy camper! She can not get to them now.....electric fence is my friend! HA

Have a Blessed Easter everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment