For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Friday, December 30, 2011

A Fine Week!!

What is left of Icicles hanging on a spiders' web on an overhang--they look to be hanging in mid-air


It's been a long week already--work, then off, cooking for extra people, (and making sure Jared gets his 'requested' favorites), laundry,and of course chores. But it's been a great week--the weather has been awesome!

The little black calf was limping Tuesday night, and I couldn't get a good look at his hoof. Wednesday I tied him up and tried to look at his hoof again, but he was too strong for just me, and no helpers around.
So Thursday I tied him up again and Jared helped me. Poor little fellow had a piece of old rusted barbed wire shoved into the bottom of his hoof. No wonder it took the both of us to keep his leg out so I could work with his hoof. The wire came out easily, but I wasn't happy with what came out with it as well--puss.
A quick text with a photo to 'cowfriend' Ann got me the answer I already figured--yep, hit him with the meds.
So he got a couple of SQ shots of LA 200 and I had some leftover medication (of the same type) to put into his feed for now along with some Probiotics. (Easier on the patient, that's for sure--Tetracycline burns when injected--I've been on the 'receiving end' accidentally at the hog farm a couple of times!)
I will say he's a happy little patient, and Friday let me soak his hoof in Epsom salt/water mix while he munched on some alfalfa in the stanchion area.

Of course I had other helpers--Dolly, Nessa and the white calf as well. Either someone is trying to lick me (Dolly!), or get something out of my jackets' pockets (Nessa!) or right behind me waiting for a treat (white calf!)--so I about trip over him when I turn around. I swear anytime I go into the stanchion area to access the chicken coop either Dolly and/or Nessa is there looking for a handout! HA HA

I got an MP3 player for Christmas so can stick one earbud in and jam out while doing chores. I realized I actually missed having a radio out in the 'barn' area. (No electricity out there.) All we get at work is the local country station--which is OK, but I like my rock-n-roll! :) Kyle has over 1,200 songs already on the computer for me to choose from to put on the player, so that helps!

Here's the mangled heater for the tank that I talked about a couple of weeks back (stupid youngsters--grumble grumble!!). This thing is supposed to be a rectangle and not touching the bottom!

No comments:

Post a Comment