For Our Troops......

For Our Troops......

Welcome!

Either you're searching for some information and stumbled across here, or already know me and are interested in what I/we do. :)

The dairy cow doesn’t ask for much, but she asks every day.
People who are creating wealth with a cow either are hardworking and reliable or get that way in a hurry. This is the way it has been for a very long time.
--Joann Grohman (Author of Keeping a Family Cow)


There are three kinds of people in this world:
Those who watch things happen,
Those who Make things happen,
or you can wonder what the hell happened.
--Captain Phil Harris (RIP)



A few of words of wisdom I have come across:


Choose not to just live within your means, but live within your needs.


If you don't want to be responsible for or defend yourself, please don't expect others to do it for you.

(My translation: Buck up and learn some skills!)


Prepare for the worst, hope for the best!

"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the AmericanGovernment take care of him; better take a closer look at the American Indian."--Henry Ford

**~*~**Spread the word!**~*~**

Small Family Farms need our help when ludicrous charges have come up against them. Maybe someday it could be one of us on this "make an example out of you" chopping block.

Pushing back (via donations, interviews, getting the word out, etc) and standing up for what we believe in will send a clear message that we refuse to just roll over and give up!

When we know what we're fighting for, we fight harder--Sgt . Gary Stein (USMC)

THANK YOU!!!



Click for Jansen, Nebraska Forecast



Powered By Blogger

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Rain and Snow!


Ok, we got snow.....not much but enough to make everything white. We had over an inch of rain before it turned to snow, so there is a nice icy coating that got laid down first. I'm thinking the weatherman got his "snow" and "ice" prediction amounts backwards!
I am just grateful it wasn't a worse coating of ice and snow....it could of turned nasty pretty quickly.

Got another big round bale of hay Friday--my hay guy is pretty awesome, I have to say! (Thanks Jim!) I picked up a few small bales of grass hay from another person the other day for bedding/back up hay. Usually he delivers it, because he doesn't like people to know of his hay stash. (Can't blame the guy!) But once his sister told him who I was, he figured I was trustworthy enough to meet them to come get the hay. ;) (He knows me from work.)

Why am I using hay and not straw for bedding? Wellllll--I can't find 'cheap' straw that isn't in a big round bale! Dolly it seems loves to pee in their shed, or right outside to help make a muddy mess. So I pick the best parts out of the square bales for them to eat and put the less desired portions down in the shed for bedding. I also pitchfork what they've scattered off the big round bale for bedding as well. (Cows!! They have me trained well I think!!) :/

It has been an interesting week here.....some will say I had a "flip out moment". Anna was traded to a trusted friend this week for some beef calves and other goodies. Things have settled down and Nessa only moo'd about 24 hours later for awhile. Easiest weaning I've had!! So now 'chores' are taking on a different but easier tone for me. And I have an extra 'meat on the hoof' to barter with....or sell if I'm inclined to.

Last Milk Meal :)

Jared will be home on leave in a couple of weeks. The first weekend he is back is crammed with Family Christmas activities, his poor girlfriend will have to tag along and suffer. ;)

Kyle went to a college day thing and thought it was pretty cool. So he may be modifying post-high school plans.....I think his girlfriend has something to do with that (female persuasion!!) ;) I can't blame her....they have a 'baby' for Parenting class this weekend. I got to watch the little bugger while Kyle worked Sat morn. Guess her parents got the same honor the other day! ha ha ha

Patrick got the front door done and Monday we got it installed, frame and all. He did a great job and the big test--no air coming in, and no water when it rained! Yeah!!! I get frustrated with his pickiness,(it all has to be square!! I'm like just get it done already!!) but it pays off in the end with a product that works like it should! (Maybe I frustrate him?? Nahhhhh......bwahahahaha ha ha!!)

1 comment:

  1. Glad you didn't get a bunch of snow, it's nice to have the rain though. We just got a dusting of snow, not much at all. It will be nice to have that beef you have walking around out back...bet you can't wait till they grow up! LOL I'm wishing we had one to do NOW, we decided to let ours get bigger, so will keep them over a couple winters...which means Stew won't be ready till next year, and we are back to buying beef for another year. It was sure nice having chuck last year! :)

    ReplyDelete